Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A Return To The Fray and The Shame Of The Closeted Geek

The draftsmanship is weak but I like the mood in this one... Man, I'd love to do more life drawing.


School starts again today. Thank god. (I guess that's the difference between an atheist and an agnostic -- the agnostic might be taking someone's name in vain.) I've got Modern Color today -- this class might be dumped if it cramps my style when I get back into the novel. I signed on because the teacher asked me to -- one of those things where the class is just starting out and he needed some butts in chairs so it wouldn't get canceled.

I might stick it out, though. It's going to be a mix of theory and practice using both digital and traditional media and it sounds interesting, if vague. I can hardly wait to see the syllabus.

My other two classes are going to be Art Marketing and Portfolio Management and Photography. I've barely used a camera -- I don't event take snapshots -- but when I started incorporating photography into my last set of... Jesus, what do I call them, anyway? Prints? Illustrations? Images? Anyway, they changed the way I work and now I need to get some real skills -- half the time I can't even get the damned camera to work.

And as for art marketing, hey. I want some money.

I'm also going to start a club, much against my best judgment. Why start a club? Well, I want to start cartooning. And I can't find any cartooning classes at school. And if I'm left to my own devices I'll never quite get around to doing anything. When I started writing seriously I joined a writer's group; it helped a whole lot. In fact, there's no other single factor that has been more significant in my growth as a writer.

So I want to get something similar going for cartooning.

But you know what that's gonna mean? Hanging out with people who are into comic books and anime.

Shameful confession time here, folks. I don't hang out with people who are, uh. Geeks. I can pass as a non-geek right now -- well, yeah, I'm into comics but they're just part of my whole art thing, and I'm all about mining the seam between pop culture and fine culture and I can talk about politics and history and blah blah blah and in general seem like a fairly convincing adult.

But I feel as if I'm straddling a very fine line and one little shove would push me over and then I'd be spending all my time talking about Bill Mantlo and Rumiko Takahashi and the fucking Skrulls.

And so on to the infinite power. I'm gonna try and class it up a little by calling it a Narrative Art Club but hey. I can call Roxie-the-dog a Miniature Clydesdale but she ain't gonna pull no beer wagon. It is going to be a geekfest. I will be deliberately socializing with people who know who Jack Kirby was -- and who care about who inked him.

Yeah, I'm a pretentious elitist bastard but the whole thing is making me very, very nervous. You ever see that movie Freaks? If you have, you know what I'm talking about.

It's like they're out there, waiting for me in the shadows. I can smell the pulp of their comics; I can hear the rattle of their polyhedral dice. There are science fiction paperbacks. There is Monty Python.

"Gabba-gabba we accept you we accept you one of us!"

4 comments:

robp said...

There are people who don't know who Jack Kirby was? Male people? Male people who can read? Oh, I guess I'm down to about two more questions before I narrow this down to geeks. And of course I love Monty Python. But it's only because of my kids that I know what d20 refers to.

I too want you to have money. No particular reason except people I know should have money. Odd if you were actually rewarded for something you do well, and I wouldn't ascribe too much meaning to it, but it has been known to happen.

And of course, if the call for geekdom becomes too strong, I have many rpg connections.

Sean Craven said...

Heh. I remember as a child being taken to a science fiction convention and thinking to myself, "Oh, that's how they breed!" Similarly, the whole Ren Faire/Society for Creative anachronism thing -- "Oh, so that's how they get laid!"

Thing is, if I had a little (which actually means a whole fucking lot) more self confidence I might have thought to myself, "Hey, maybe I could get laid that way."

I'd have wound up healthier and happier in every way -- but right now I'd probably have a braided beard and a leather knapsack and a crappy fantasy series and a tattoo of Gary Gygax on my ass.

Life always takes its cut...

Anonymous said...

bapesta shoes
golden goose sneakers
russell westbrook shoes
supreme outlet
curry 6
golden goose
nike kyrie 5
hermes belts
off white jordan 1
hermes

Anonymous said...

chrome hearts outlet
fear of god essentials
golden goose outlet storet
fear of god essentials
kobe shoes
off white shoes
hermes birkin
jordan shoes
curry shoes
hermes birkin outlet