Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Brief Failure Of Suction, I Hint Mysteriously, and A Bit Of Gas And Grandma

Did I tell you how much fun I'm having with the new scanner?

Of course it took me longer than I thought it would, but my submission for the Viable Paradise workshop is ready to mail. Two short stories and a cover letter. Well under the word-count limit, professionally formatted, should be received well before the deadline, etc, etc. I think I've managed to avoid shooting myself in the foot on this one.

If I don't get in, at least I made the attempt and had the experience of applying properly. And if I get in, I'll be spending a week around the guy who buys books for Tor, along with a very respectable selection of SF/Fantasy writers.

And I've recently been given the chance to sell out to a small degree for a small fee and I've decided to run with it and see what happens. If I'm allowed to, I'll fill you in sometime soon.

Anyway, in the process of revising the stories I'm submitting I wound up cutting a scene that I really liked. Hey, a lot of my readers liked it too. So in the interest of letting nothing go to waste, here it is...

***

The previous Sunday Grandma decided to take me to the city, down the highway that cut through the salt marshes. There was a white hill of salt on the horizon and all the cars had their headlights on.

“I hope you stay,” I said. “I don’t want you to go. But that’s me being selfish. Honestly, if I were in your shoes I wouldn’t think about it for a minute. Just imagine what kind of wildlife they’ve got out there, what it’s like to see things from space…”

“I know,” Grandma said. “It’s just that… well, it hardly seems real.”

I nodded. “Uh, huh.” I felt something shift inside and opened my window for safety’s sake. There was a moment of silence.

“You know, you’re right,” Grandma said. “This isn’t the kind of opportunity you can turn down.” She turned to me, smiling. “I’ll go and you’ll be fine, won’t you?”

I nodded. “Yeah, I’ll be okay.”

“Good,” Grandma said. “That’s good.” The next few miles went by in silence. “So Amy sent you another letter.”

“Yeah,” I said and discreetly emitted a little gas from Saturday’s drinking binge. “I can’t believe what she wrote. She said ‘I know I’m causing you great pain but I don’t think it would be appropriate for me to change my behavior in order to accommodate your needs.’” I could see the sentence laid out in the beautiful little calligraphic loops of Amy’s handwriting. My throat hurt. “I mean, isn’t that what decency is? Not deliberately hurting people? And she’s upset because I don’t appreciate the tender romance she’s picked up since she left to go to school and then she asks me to write her more often. I thought we were going to be forever. I’m like a bug on a pin. God, I’m an idiot.”

“Oh, those marshes smell awful,” Grandma said. “Roll up your window.”

There was no way I could explain beer farts to her. I couldn’t even say the words in her presence.

After a few moments Grandma broke the silence. “This isn’t the end of the world, you know.”

“I know,” I said. I wish it were. I wish it were the end of the world. I wish it were the end of me.

“Listen,” she said in a tone of flat anger that I’d never heard before. “When I was your age I fell in love with a young man. He was a pilot and that was when pilots were something new, when they were heroes.” I could hear her voice warming at the memory. “He had a mustache and he was… Oh. I loved him so much and when the war came he went to England to volunteer in the RAF. That’s when my hair went white. When I heard that he’d died. And after that I let your grandfather marry me.”

My painfully inflated bowels roiled noisily.

“That’s what life is like,” Grandma said. “Everything good goes away and you feel sad and angry and it never, ever stops. All you can do is try and be nice. That’s all there is.”

I felt a sensation of pressure. The world was constricting around me like shrink wrap around a box, airtight and closing in. Squirming in my seat I looked out at the salt flats, the rushes emerging from the brown water in bunches, the red-winged blackbirds and ducks and egrets. I stifled in the brimstone stink that filled the car. Grandma wasn’t supposed to be like me.

She thought God was love.

4 comments:

Allison Landa said...

Oh man! You cut the beer farts. So to speak.

Sean Craven said...

I didn't want to! I swear, this scene was my hardest darling to kill so far...

traumador said...

Good work on meeting the deadline!

I'm on the edge of possibly selling out too. I know the feeling. What's the worse that could happen though? You're book sellout out a gazillion copies, and is made into a multi million dollar film starring Tom Cruise or Hanks, and you become a hated author by (jealous) everyone else ;P

Unless your selling out into a new career path. Then there might be some implications for your actions. Like weapons dealer or oil tycoon. In my opinion no one has ever been hurt by fiction!

Sean Craven said...

Alas, if I do sell out it'll be on a very, very small scale -- but I'm thinking of this as just another experiment at this point.

I will admit that I am deliberately incorporating a lot of cinematic influences in the novel. My dialog has been shaped by my work as a scriptwriter. I visualized each scene clearly enough so that I could have storyboarded it instead of writing it. And for many of the scenes involving ghosts and monsters and so on, I was thinking, "How could this be done with special effects?"

But since the protagonist is very closely based on myself, I really got a giggle out of the idea of Tom Cruise or Tom Hanks in the lead...